New Addition & Scotch's nest?  

Posted by Keisha Five in

Hi, good morning everybodehhh~

I know I should be updating this blog on Shaggy and Orion. But since hamsters are also my pets, so this blog is dedicated to all of my pets fair and square.

I have a new addition to my hamster cage! Bought her last night from a very nice couple in Sungai Besar, Kota Batu. I now have THREE hamsters; one male, and two females.

Meet GINGER!



I'll try to get a close up of her. She's still what we call "sakai" with her new environment, so she moved a lot last night, going up and down the cage, and also taking over Muffin's little cottage ;p But by the end of the night, they slept in it together. No squeaking, no fighting.

I think she's just a normal Syrian hamster. Her fur is not as long as Muffin's or Scotch's. But they're about the same size. Probably about the same age (I think). And they got along immediately.

Ginger almost has the same shade like Muffin's, except Muffin is banded with white fur on her back. Muffin has bigger, rounder eyes than Ginger. Ginger has small eyes, about the same size as Scotch's, except Scotch has red eyes, Ginger's are black.

Okay, so I just googled it up and I think she just about matched as a "Yellow Black Syrian Hamster". The description and picture matched quite a bit.

"Combination of black and yellow. The tips of the fur are black with the yellow undercolor showing through, black eyes, and grey ears"

At first I didn't want to get anymore hamsters, but then the nice couple had more than 50 hamsters *errkkk* And I knew I had to get just one. Of course I couldn't decide whether to get a female or a male. Then it clicked! I'll just get another female, because I don't want to risk my males fighting.

And at first, I wanted to get a gray one, 'coz Scotch and Muffin are both golden, cinnamon & brownish, and banded with white fur. But sadly the only gray female was small. She was really cute, but I don't think Scotch & Muffin would want a younger hamster in their cage. Especially not Muffin. But then, I saw her.

Well, actually it was a "he". But the nice couple took out all the similar color in a box and they helped separate the male from the female. When he picked up the first female, I immediately said, "that one".

I'm glad the three of them got along fine. Scotch was the most welcoming though. He couldn't stop sniffing her umm, "butt". Muffin and Ginger somewhat kissed *hmmm* They put their noses together. That's kissing, right?

So anyway, here's Muffin. Not as tiny as when I first got her.



She would sneak into my palm whenever she had the chance. I think she hates being in a cage. I know I do. But I can't just let her wander off in my room. I have no choice.

It's a good thing the cage comes with a "ball". If you recall the 3D Cartoon "Bolt". Yup, remember Rhino the Hamster? Yeah, that ball.

I put Muffin in the ball last night and let her wander off safely in my room. And when she stopped at a corner, curling up into a ball, I knew that she was exhausted, so I put her back into her cage with Ginger. Scotch is in a separate cage. Read my previous post to find out why. LOL!

And this morning, I was woken up with a scratching sound. I got up and looked at Scotch's cage, and this is what I saw.






Scotch was building a nest. Why? Is he lonely? =|
And isn't "building nests" a habit for a pregnant hamster?
Or is it normal? I sure hope it is!


But he couldn't be lonely! I read that Syrian Hamsters live alone, and they're happier when they're alone. But from what I've noticed, he seems to be feeling much miserable. His fur is always sticking up. Macam urang stress =_="

And I've made sure he could sleep inside the restaurant (the tower in the cage), but now he's building his own nest under the stairs. I hope he'll be okay. Muffin's okay since she has a room-mate now.

Or maybe the cage is too big for Scotch? I've put Scotch in the big cage, and Muffin & Ginger in the medium one. I'll switch them later and see how they'll respond to it.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at Wednesday, January 13, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment